Receive articles directly to your email, or subscribe via an RSS reader.


Friday, December 7, 2007

Press Questions

Yesterday a press conference was held at the IBM Research Lab where I work, and I presented the latest Presence and Communication Technologies to the press. It was an interesting experience, partly because these were not technology experts and everything I described was very new and exciting to them.

One of the questions that the press asked our lab director was whether we do any research about the possible consequences of the technologies we are developing. I thought that was an interesting question. When I took the stage I mentioned this blog to them and emphasized that while we cannot stop the advancement of technology, we can ensure public awareness of its advantages and disadvantages.

Speaking of press and modern communications, it turns out that kids in Japan are writing novels .... on their cell phones! There is also a college in Japan that is offering its courses both over the internet and over mobile phones. Read more about both here.

No comments: